Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Omelette Dinner for One

Due to the nature of his job, there are times when the husband travels. And during those times, I'm extraordinarily tempted to just order a pizza and nosh on it for three consecutive dinners. But I can't do that anymore. As tempting as pizza is to me (and hoo boy do I LOVE pizza), I haven't straightened out my eating habits for the past three months only to blow it because I can't control myself for one meal.

So, I've come to just craft some singles-only dinners from whatever is sitting in the fridge at any given time. Tonight, that dinner became an omelette. An omelette is one of those things I never made before, and when I did, I thought, "Well that was way too easy and tasty." And it really is very, very easy.

The basis of any good omelette is fresh eggs (I use local eggs, of course), salt, pepper, a well-buttered and nonstick skillet, and a low heat. That last bit is the most important. It's tempting to just whip up some eggs and throw them on high heat to cook quickly, but cooking the hell out of something like an egg is just not (in the words of Alton Brown) good eats.

My omelette preparation: crack open 3 eggs in a medium bowl. Add about 1 Tbsp. milk (this will ensure a fluffy omelette) and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together and set aside. In a nonstick skillet, heat about 1 Tbsp. butter (again, I use farm fresh butter here) over low heat, turning the skillet around as the butter heats to coat the sides and bottom evenly and prevent sticking.

Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and let sit over low/medium-low heat for...well, I don't time mine. I go by looks alone here. You can tell when the egg is starting to set as it gets fluffier around the edges and takes on a darker look and begins to ever so slightly bubble in the middle. When it reaches this consistency, take a rubber spatula and run it gently around the edges of the omelette just to loosen it up a bit. The next part really depends on your level of taste in omelettes. I prefer a runnier middle, so after I've loosened up the edges and still have a runny consistency on the top of the omelette, I add cheese sprinkled down the center of the omelette (it was organic cheddar cheese tonight, but you could use Gruyere, provolone, Swiss...really anything you have on hand) to melt slightly. (If you like your omelette more done, go ahead and sprinkle on the cheese to melt, but you'll have to wait a while for the center to set perfectly--during that time, do not be tempted to turn up the heat.)

Next, I add my meats, veggies, etc. The great thing about an omelette is that you really can't go wrong with your fillings of choice. My filling of choice tonight was leftover roasted broccoli. But you could use onions, peppers, tomatoes, whatever your heart desires. Just sprinkle down the center, then take your spatula and flip one corner of the omelette over, pressing down slightly, followed by the other corner. (You should note that, if you really like a set omelette, this part isn't going to be pretty. Because the consistency is set, when you go to turn in the corners of your omelette, it is going to split, and you run the risk of your fillings spilling out into the skillet.) Then just slide gently onto a plate. Now, I prefer to add diced tomatoes at the end, but that's just me. And for those who enjoy some heat, Tabasco sauce makes a great complement for an omelette.



My side tonight was quick, sauteed potatoes. Seriously, I can't believe how long I've gone without making potatoes this way. I've always had trouble reconciling a crispy exterior to a soft interior when sautéing potatoes raw, but this little trick saves a ton of time and fretting. Just take a potato (I use new potatoes), stab it a few times with a fork just to ensure it doesn't build up pressure and explode in the microwave, and microwave for about 2.5 minutes. Carefully remove the potato (I generally use one per person), and, using a paper towel to hold it in place (and to keep your fingers from getting scorched), slice into about 3/4" discs, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute in olive oil over medium heat until lightly brown on the outside. It takes no time at all, and the texture is perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment